Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Got Milk?


I have been reading the biography of Harvey Milk, the first openly homosexual person to be elected to public office in California. The life and death of this politician and activist inspired me to be more active in the gay pride movement.
Because Milk's work in the gay community spurred me to start this blog, I feel compelled to dedicate my first writing to his work.
Many people, outside of California, had not heard of Harvey Milk until work began on the film, MILK, starring Sean Penn. Now many people are asking, "Who was this man and why is a film being made about him?" I have to admit, I had never heard of him myself until my son asked me about a year ago what my thoughts were about this man. He was astounded that as a gay rights activist and a lesbian that I had no idea who he was. The subject never came up again until I was watching a documentary on OUTtv about Harvey and I knocked on my son's bedroom door and told him he needed to come watch this amazing piece with me. It shows that I do not always pay close attention to what is being said to me, my son knew all about the man, the documentary, and the movie being released.
Milk was elected to the San Fransisco Board of Supervisors in 1978 and was largely responsible for the liberation and freedom of many homosexual people and was committed to making the world a peaceful harmonious place for ALL people. He was assisinated, along with San Fransisco mayor, George Moscone on November 27, 1978 by former Supervisor, Dan White, who was openly opposed to homosexuality.
I encourage all people to see the film and learn more about the man who was dubbed, "The Mayor of Castro Street." I also encourage people to put aside fears and prejudice and embrace all people regardless of differences.

3 comments:

  1. I love this. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Harvey Milk and Lorashel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. l think it is great the work lori is doing on here. it will open up alot of doors for people that think there is no hope in this word for gay people.l came out when l was 19because l couldnt handle lying to myself and everyone around me.it's very insping the words that she writes she writes from her heart and every word is true. keep up the great work and hopeing to see alot more in the future to come. be proud of who you are.for l am gay and very proud of who l am .

    ReplyDelete